Welcome to Burris Elementary, grades 3, 4, and 5 school in Mitchell Community Schools district - Where It's A Great Day To Be A Bluejacket!
The vision of MCS is Lifelong Learning - Integrity, Dedication, Excellence - Every Child, Everyday!
Our motto at Burris is Growing Life Champions. We are dedicated to ensuring your student champions reading, writing, math, science and social studies, but also life skills such as communication, collaboration, and being their best selves.
We are excited for the 2019-2020 school year. Our goals this year include:
- Teachers will create a vision for writing in grades 3, 4, 5 and define what writing students should be able to produce at the end of each grade.
- Burris Elementary School will be at or above state average on the ILEARN state standardized test.
- Teachers will become proficient in using Chromebooks for student creation and collaboration.
- Teachers will use diagnostic data from iReady Math and Reading to provide remediation and enrichment for students.
- Seventy percent of the Burris Elementary special education population will meet their typical growth goal in math and reading on iReady MOY or EOY diagnostic.
Students learn best when a growth mindset toward academics are an expectation at school and at home. This means that challenges in academics are viewed as an opportunity to learn and grow, while the easy material is viewed as practice. If it doesn't challenge us, it won't change us.
We encourage you to contact us with any questions or concerns so we can work together to help your student. Our mission is to create a welcoming and safe environment for our students, families, staff, and community. Together we collaborate to grow successful citizens and academic risk-takers who challenge themselves to become lifelong learners.
Again, please do not hesitate to call me at 812-849-2509 or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ms. Jessica L. Jones, Burris Elementary School Principal
CLICK HERE for 2019-2020 Parent Orientation Information